POSSIBLE USES FOR OPTICAL THROUGH-THE-AIR COMMUNICATIONS
|Short Range Applications
- Industrial controls and monitors
- Museum audio; walking tours, talking
- Garage door openers
- Lighting controls
- Driveway annunciators
- Intrusion alarms
- Weather monitors; fog, snow, rain
using light back-scatter
- Traffic counting and monitoring
- Animal controls and monitors; cattle
guards, electronic scarecrow
- Medical monitors; remote EKG, blood
|Long Range Applications
- Deep space probe communications;
distances measured in light-years
- Building to building computer data
links; very high data rates.
- Ship to ship communications; high
data rates with complete security.
- Telemetry transmitters from remote
monitors; weather, geophysical.
- Electronic distance measurements;
hand held units out to 1000 ft.
- Optical radar; shape, speed,
direction and range.
- Remote telephone links; cheaper than
|Wide Area Applications
- Campus wide computer networks
- City-wide information broadcasting
- Inter-office data links
- Computer to printer links
- Office or store pagers
- Systems for the hearing impaired;
schools, churches, movies
- Cloud bounce broadcasting